Hire a Freelance Toptal Data Scientist. I am Thomas Wood, a data scientist based in the UK, Oxbridge educated with 10+ years in machine learning. I work directly with clients, or via platforms such as Toptal.
You can view my Toptal profile here: Toptal Data Scientist Thomas Wood.
Toptal Data Scientist Thomas Wood
I originally studied Physics to Masters level at the University of Durham, UK, before completing a second Masters in Computer Speech, Text and Internet Technology at the University of Cambridge in 2008.
I have been working in machine learning and natural language processing for more than 10 years across a number of industries including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and recruitment.
Consulting activities of Toptal Data Scientist Thomas Wood
Since 2020 I have been registered on Toptal as a Toptal data scientist.
Toptal has a rigorous screening process for recruitment of candidates. The firm has developed its own bespoke personality, language, and skills assessments to remotely screen engineers and data scientists. You know that when you hire a Toptal data scientist, that person was in the top 3% of applicants to Toptal.
Since 2018 I have been working as a freelance data scientist consultant, helping large organisations around the globe extract value from unstructured data such as text and images.
Recent activities as a freelance data scientist include a project for Boehringer Ingelheim, one of Germany’s largest pharmaceutical companies, where I have been developing algorithms to improve pre-clinical research, clinical operations, and the supply chain, as well as the National Health Service where I am developing models to predict employee attrition.
What I Offer as a Toptal Data Scientist
I am available for consulting and contracting, not permanent roles.
Certified by Microsoft as Azure Data Scientist Associate.
- Millions of customers/users of a website?
- Do you need to predict complex behaviour on a user by user basis?
- Anticipate customer churn before it happens?
- Purchasing patterns?
- Product recommendations?
- How can you extract value from a huge database of text data, without writing manual rules?
I have more than 10 years of experience in machine learning, more recently in deep learning. My speciality is large amounts of unstructured text data (product descriptions, customer profile texts, etc).
I also work with image data. Through my company Fast Data Science Ltd and via my Toptal profile as a Toptal Data Scientist, I can provide various services from consulting to complete production-ready deployment of machine learning solutions.
References are available on request.
About Thomas Wood, Toptal Data Scientist
- Experience in running machine learning projects with complex requirements and international teams of developers.
- Passed the rigorous Toptal selection criteria – only 3% of candidates are accepted as a Toptal Data Scientist.
- Delivery of machine learning solutions from inception to deployment.
- Expertise in two major areas of AI: Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing.
- NLP: spoken and written dialogue systems, information retrieval, document classification.
- Image processing: convolutional neural networks.
- Experience with machine learning algorithms (linear regression, naïve Bayes, neural networks etc) and with the corresponding software suites (TensorFlow, Scikit-learn, Weka, etc).
- Research, development, architecture, pre-sales, consulting for internal and external clients.
- Good command of Python, Java, C++, Groovy, BigQuery.
- Data visualisation and presentation: Google Charts, PowerPoint, Word.
- International experience: several years in Spain and Germany and fluent command of several European languages: 🇫🇷 French, 🇩🇪 German and 🇪🇸 Spanish.
- Fast learner, quick to pick up new technologies and able to explain technical issues clearly to stakeholders.
- Active as a Toptal Data Scientist since 2020.
Data Scientist profiles on sites other than Toptal
You can find more details on my career and qualifications from my LinkedIn page.